Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm Having Trouble Titling This One

I don't really have a whole lot to write about. We're back to doing the touristy things, and most of it really doesnt feel as good and fun as it did the first week we were here. I'm tired of spending money. I'd much rather sit down with a stranger and hear them talk about themselves and their story than drop another 40 Rand on a wooden carving. I had a little conversation with an artist at Green Market Square, but in the end all really is all about is them wanting to sell you something.

Hopefully we'll make it to the Holocaust Museum tomorrow, since Table Mountain will be closed for bad weather. I'm disappointed that we wont have time to go to the top of the mountain because I've heard that it's absolutely beautiful. It's funny that it's so close to us and we never went. I really want to see the Museum, though, because it's an important part of South Africa's history that many people never really consider.


We did walk through St. George Gardens today (I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but that's what you get) on our way to check out the Holocaust Museum (which was closed for a Jewish holiday). They were reaaaally pretty but involved far too many pidgeons for my taste, nasty little creatures. And squirrels that would charge at you until you throw crackers to them. Gross. But the plants and fountains were gorgeous!


Walking through, I wondered what all the old buildings used to be. They looked like colonial government thing. This question probably would have been answered had I read my tour guide book that I absolutely had to have before I left for this trip.


Yesterday, some of us went to a shop called MonkeyBiz. It's a non-profit that sells the beaded crafts made by women of the townships. The women recieve the proceeds from the sales. MonkeyBiz also runs a once-a-week clinic, support group and food service for its women who are HIV positive. It's a great place, I really wish I would have taken pictures of the inside. One woman there told me all about what they do and took me upstairs to show me where they hold the support group and clinic. There is a wall there that displays tons of pictures of the women of the group.. there had to be at least 50 pictures on there. She walked over to an enormous and pointed it out. I couldn't tell what it was, but when I got in front of it I realized that it was a 4x3ft beaded picture of a woman and her child:

Those are all tiny beads. The woman told me it took 2 weeks to make it. On the bottom it said, "You can change the world if you have a heart without fears, a mind without walls and a dream big enough to share -Ashley"

MonkeyBiz has a website.. you should check it out. Apparently you can order from their catalogue. Even if you don't want to order anything, look at it anyway because their products are really incredible http://www.monkeybiz.co.za/

I'm not sure if I meantioned this before, but we had the opportunity to get a mini-show from a group called Siyaya from the JL Zwane Community Center who sing to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS. They are in the United States right now and have a show this June 29 in Minneapolis. I highly recommend trying to get tickets for this show, trust me-they are amazing. We only saw a snippet of their performance last week.. I guarentee their full-length show with costumes has to be a hundred times more incredible. I know you would not be disappointed in going. Here's a link for you: http://www.thecedar.org/open_arms_presents_siyaya

No comments: